Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Love Dare



I have been reading a book called The Love Dare, which was inspired by the movie Fireproof that was in theatres recently (I actually went and saw this at the dollar movie last weekend...by myself!! I was in the mood for a movie but no one I knew was interested in seeing that particular one...so I decided to go solo. It was really weird going to a movie by myself, but I actually enjoyed the show, so I guess it was worth it). Now, both this book and the movie are probably way more relevant to all you married folks out there, but I actually have gotten a lot out of them, especially the book. Even though it is directed toward married couples and how to treat your spouse, I actually take a lot from it on how love should look and act in general....toward all the people in your life. I have a lot to learn about "love is patient....love is not selfish...love is thoughtful....love believes the best...love is satisfied in God.."..and all those other great themes, even though I don't have a signficant other. I think we all have so much to learn about unconditional love, which should be exhibited in all our relationships, and though this book is pretty simple and not the most profound book I have ever read, I like how it breaks down and examines the many characteristics of "love" as described in 1 Corinthians 13 (my all time favorite passage in the Bible.) One of the ideas that I have really been contemplating is that of leading your heart rather than following it. So often we toss that phrase around...just follow your heart! What does your heart tell you to do? What do you feel in your heart? However, this book reminds us that our heart is deceitful and that the key is to lead our heart in the direction it should go, rather than relying on our feelings (that can change in the wind, or that may be completely MIA altogether at times) to guide our decisions and the way we treat others. It also challenges me to examine my motives in everything I do for others....which can be an ugly but needed analysis.

Like I said...not the most revolutionary book ever...but definitely a positive read, for married and single people alike!




4 comments:

  1. Good point on leading your heart rather than following it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Fireproof was one of the best movies I had seen in a long time. And I really liked the point they made about how we shouldn't always follow our feelings or heart because they are inherently unreliable. Good points.

    BTW I went to several movies by myself in my cold and lonely bachelor days, and I never did like it very much. I felt too conspicuous or something.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished that love dare about leading your heart. Matt and I are in a Fireproof your Marriage bible study and have the book. Some good stuff.
    brittany j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't always comment, but I do like your blog. Gives me a lot to think about and .......think about. ha I do like that idea of NOT following your heart. I think we are told the heart can be deceitful above all things. That's somewhere in the Bible. I am not a chapter and verse person. I do enjoy reading your ideas, though my brain cannot always wrap itself around your higher intelligence. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete