Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Stand Corrected

Yesterday I bitterly stated in so many words that Dallas ISD rarely closes for bad weather. Well, less than 24 hours later....DISD closed for the day. It was rather icy this morning from what I could tell from the overexcited news people. You have to take their reports with a grain of salt since they over-exaggerate everything...as if Dallas was experiencing the ice storm of the century. (By the way...what does that mean? Taking things with a grain of salt? Where did that saying come from anyways?). However, since they were forecasting a high in the mid-40's today I felt that a delay in starting times would have been sufficient. I wasn't particularly thrilled about staying home today because that means that we will have to make it up later...either on Good Friday or an extra day in June...when we're not doing anything except holding the lid on until the madness ends for summer. What that means is that after spring break, we will not have another break until school is out in June...right during the time of year that you need a mental holiday the most!!! We have yet to have a normal week of school since the Christmas break. We went back on the 6th, so that was a short week. The following week, they were taking exams so they got out every day at 1:00pm. The next week was MLK day and a teacher workday, so that was a short week. This week was the weather day and also we'll have an early release on Friday. The lack of structure and routine is quickly taking its toll as the students' behavior deteriorates at a rapid pace...and we still have four full months to go!! But regardless, I was glad to not have to get out on the roads this morning, even if I have had a restless day. I was thrilled about my class in Mesquite being cancelled tonight...my book hasn't come in yet and thus I wasn't prepared...so that was a nice little bonus. I was a little frustrated because I left my bag with all my Practicum stuff at school, thinking I was going to work on it some today there, and as it turns out, I had all day to work on it here at home. Instead I was restless and antsy all day.

Well, I think I'm going to go work out to burn off some of this nervous energy after a day that was totally unproductive in every way!

No comments:

Post a Comment