Friday, March 12, 2010

Put a Fork in Me....I'm Done!!!

Ladies and gentlemen.....boys and girls....drum roll please.....Rachel has finished her last assignment for her last course in her master's degree program!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually I feel rather numb right now....probably because it hasn't really sunk in that I will no longer have to spend my every free minute in front of a computer and perhaps also because I just found out that I am not as done as I thought. Apparently, I need to go back into the oven for a few more minutes because there is this lovely thing called "comps" that I forgot about. For most degree programs, this is just a big huge comprehensive test at the end. But for me it apparently involves reading articles over spring break and participating in some sort of assignments over these articles along with other LIS graduate hopefuls. Not sure why they felt spring break was the best time to do this, but oh well....the end is still in sight. Throughout my entire degree program I never heard of any eight-week courses, but somehow I was blessed to have my last necessary course be offered in this format...I think the powers that be designed it that way just for me because they knew I was so burned out I would never make it to May with my sanity.

Although my degree program was not all that difficult (okay, it was super easy), it was mainly time-consuming. For two and a half years, I took 6 hours every semester straight, even summers, so I never had a break. Weekends have been nonexistent pretty much that entire time because I always had to worry about catching up on homework and assignments that I didn't have time for during the week. So I'm looking forward to doing fun things again on the weekends, like visiting people and hanging out with people. If any people remember who I am that is. After two years of me saying "no" to everything I think most people gave up on me. So I am excited to rediscover what living life is all about again!

I am not so excited about paying for this degree over the next few years, especially since the reward for all this dedication and hard labor is a whopping $1000 a year. Only in education is higher education not valued. Figure that one out. But regardless, it is done. I will get a nice big diploma to hang on the wall. I still haven't decided if I will participate in the ceremonies in May or not. I'm thinking....probably not. But it might be a nice ploy to get some visitors to actually come to Dallas, soooo....we will see.

Anyways, I have this urge to celebrate (even though I know people get their master's all the time....but I was just so very burned out!!!!) with something big....like a trip to Jamaica (I really want to go there for some reason!) or at least going out to eat steaks or something (I have never personally ordered a steak at a restaurant in my life that I can recall, believe it or not!) but unfortunately, I no longer have friends thanks to this wonderful degree so it looks like I will be celebrating tonight with a grilled cheese and a documentary about Hurrican Katrina!

Just kidding, I am celebrating tomorrow by going hiking and on a picnic with the Fletchers in Oklahoma, so while it is not Jamaica, it will be fun! And there will still be no homework to come home to!

Well, thanks for sharing in this momentous occasion with me. I wish you could feel this feeling of relief that is washing over my soul right now...its a pretty great sensation, let me tell ya!!!

Sincerely,
Rachel Embry, M.Ed (well, practically)
:-)

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I'm just a leeeetle jealous of you. Congrats! Do you feel a little light headed with all the pressure suddenly falling off you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! You have so much more determination than I do. I would not have been able to do that non-stop like you did. BTW I have never had a steak in a restaurant either! Funny we are the same there. Amanda orders one on a rare occasion, and sometimes she lets me have a bite or two. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yee haw!!!!!! So glad you can see that huge light and the end of the tunnel as well. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete