Monday, March 29, 2010

The Fletchers....An Amazing Family!!


In the after school progam at CDM, we used to always take a moment in our group time every afternoon to "shine" on kids or staff who had caught our attention for doing something exceptional that day. We would say, "I want to shine on so-and-so for...." and it was always a fun part of the afternoon. Well, in that same tradition, today on this blog I would like to "shine" on my cousin Holly and her husband Aaron and their sweet little girl Maddy!

Growing up, I always looked forward to the weeks that the Eckstein cousins would come to Farwell. We always had the best time creating our imaginative escapades at MaMa and PaPa's house. I always had the most fun with Holly (even though I think we fought the most too!) because she loved to read and write as much as I did and she always had the best ideas for our next activity, whether it was creating RC cola commercials, writing and acting our own westerns, playing OJ Simpson in the Bloomfield church building, or having Miss America pagaents in MaMa's bathroom. She always wrote amazing stories too and inspired me in my own writing career! We also had fun writing each letters via snail mail throughout the year too. So Holly has always been a pretty special cousin to me.

I still remember when I was in Guyana at HOPE Children's Home and I got word that Holly was dating a pretty nice guy named Aaron. But my first impression of him came before I ever met him when he and Holly sent a package of treats to me in Guyana to give the kids. Already I could tell that he and Holly had the right kind of foundation for their relationship...one that was based on generosity and service to others. When I finally got to meet Aaron a few months later, I couldn't have imagined anyone a better fit for not just Holly but her family.

So a few years later when Holly and Aaron made the decision to move to Dallas, I couldn't have been more thrilled! I was really looking forward to having family in the area, but I really didn't know what an encouragement it would be to have a more regular interaction with the Fletchers.

Holly and Aaron are two of the most positive, friendly, hospitable, and quietly generous people that I know. They really exemplify the principle of being content in whatever circumstance they find themselves in. They are always having people into their home for meals and games or supporting friends in various endeavors or making the time to just enjoy life with others. They both are always cheerful, interested in others, and full of laughter. These are two people who truly make each other better and bring out the best in each other.

Then enter Miss Maddy into the picture. Even through the dark and uncertain times of Maddy's existence, the Fletchers remained faithful, positive, and prayerful. Having a baby is a big transition in anyone's life, but the Fletchers have had to deal with a few more challenges than many do. But the amazing thing is that despite the busy-ness of parenting, doctor's appointments and therapy and full-time work and grad school for Holly, the Fletchers have continued to be hospitable and active in the lives of other people. Many people would have turned their focus inward and been consumed with their own problems and schedules, but not the Fletchers. They never missed a beat when Maddy came along....Holly continued cooking big meals for students and having people over and both stayed active in their church and small group and Aaron helped teach a financial class and they began training for a marathon and got others involved in their new cause. They were always open to having Tricia and I over for a meal or for games or for hosting large numbers of family members for fun things like the state fair. The Fletchers often take people (like me!) out to eat and pay for their meal, which is really a treat. Aaron is quick to help out co-workers with covering classes and things like that without expecting anything in return. Instead of accepting gifts for Maddy's birthday, they requested donations for Scottish Rite...what a neat idea! But the thing is that they do these things naturally and humbly...all the time. And probably more than most even know about. They definitely have their share of worries and concerns, but they never let those things be their focus and instead look for ways that they can turn those things into good.

So it was really a blessing to go to Maddy's birthday party on Saturday and see how many friends Holly and Aaron have made in their short time here in Dallas. It was really a testimony of how they have gotten involved in building relationships and having an impact on people's lives while they've been here. I am so glad they have such a strong support system and that they are so loved by so many people. I am so blessed to have them here in Dallas and am just really proud to know them. Thank you, Fletchers, for being one of the most amazing families I know and for being such an inspiration to me!! Ya'll are good peoples! (as one of my friends says!):-)

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say except thanks for shining on us today. I have to admit I shed a few tears reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that I am NOT biased, but this family does shine! I am blessed to be the mother of Holly, mother-in-law to Aaron (he is more like a son) and Granna to precious Maddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well rachel if you would have just shined on Holly I would have linked this to my facebook account. But you stretched the truth and added me to the pic so I can't....guess I will just tell holly how wonderful she is a 100 times and use you are proof.
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. The only problem is we live too far away.

    ReplyDelete