Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Break

Well, it has been an interesting and not exactly relaxing spring break so far. My original plan was to help Janet and a group of volunteers organize the new reading room/library at Roseland on Monday and then leave that afternoon for Farwell until Thursday, because I have some appointments and other things to take care of later in the week. However, on Monday afternoon, shortly before I was ready to leave, I started feeling extremely nauseous and sick to my stomach. But since I rarely ever get sick and can count on one hand the times I've had any kind of stomach illness in my life, I didn't think too much of it and decided to go ahead and depart, assuming it would pass in a few minutes. Wrong assumption. The further I drove, the worse I felt. I made it to about Weatherford and that's where it got ugly. Real ugly. I will spare you the gruesome details, but needless to say, I wasn't sure at that point if I could even make it back to Dallas much less Farwell. I turned around and finally made it back home after two or three pit stops between Ft. Worth and Arlington. It was what I would call "violently ill." The next morning (Tuesday) I felt better but not sure I was up to the road trip and also the fact that I needed to return Thursday made it almost pointless to drive 6 hours for just a day. So I started trying to make alternate plans to visit another time, but I just felt bad because I had only been here a day at Christmas and been promising everyone I would be here at Spring Break. On top of that, one of my best friends and I have been having some conversations lately about family and just how we take them for granted and assume they will always be here, but that we shouldn't put off any opprotunities we have to spend time with them while we can. The fact that Dawson had a kind of scary accident last week really hit this home to me, so I coudln't stop feeling guilty about not going. So about 3pm I just stopped the him-hawing and jumped in the car and here I am for my one and a half-day visit in Farwell!

Spring Break is really a misnomer (I don't know how to spell that, surprisingly ;-) ) because it is usually anything but a break!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it! 6hrs? Dallas to Farwell? Hmm, I better not do the math on that.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That is crazy! Were you feeling bad on Monday at the library?!

    I am hoping to post pictures of the library soon. It looks GREAT! The only thing left is the non-fiction section. Thanks for getting them started!

    ReplyDelete