Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Plugging Away!

Well, another semester of graduate school has successfully come to a close. Grades were posted today and I was pleased to see that I came out with A's in both my classes. I was reviewing my transcript and was sort of excited to realize that I have now completed 33 hours towards my Master's and only have 9 hours left!!! When I started back in Fall 2007, I originally started with a major in Reading, so I lost about 9 hours when I changed to the library thing. (I call it the library thing because the official name of my degree is a Master of Education in Library Technology and Information Science with a Major in Library and Information Science...whew!! What a mouthful! And very redundant. I can never remember the whole thing and have to look it up every time!)

However, I recently decided that I would go ahead and take two additional classes in order to qualify to take the Master Reading Teacher certification test. The MRT program requires 3 specific graduate level reading classes and passing the certification test. I already completed one of the required classes when I was still in the Reading program, so I figured that two more classes won't kill me. I can take one of them this fall and one next summer.

SO...the plan is to take 6 hours this summer, 3 hours for Library and 3 hours for Reading this fall, take my school librarian certification test, graduate with the Master's in December, then take the remaining Reading class next summer, take the MRT test and then BE DONE!!!!

So I'll have a reading/language arts/social studies certification, school librarian certification, Master Reading Teacher certification, and a Master's degree! Surely I'll be able to keep a job in the state of Texas! :-)

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me being anti-social for the past two years. Although the programs haven't been extremely difficult, I have taken 6 hours every semester and it is quite a bit of time and work to squeeze into a full-time work schedule. I'm really looking forward to December and having weekends to spend as I please again!

The end is sight, thank goodness!!!!

2 comments:

  1. IT must feel so good to be almost there! You will be a highly qualified individual when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M.E.L.T I.S M.L.I.S Degree, wow everyone should have one of those.! Glad to hear you are still able to make A's with all you have going on.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete