Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thankful #1

On Halloween night I was in Target trying to get a last-minute costume for Dezeray's little brother but the Halloween department was pretty much decimated.  Already, the orange and black stuff was being cleared out and workers were busily stocking Christmas items.  Christmas?!?! Wait!  Isn't there another holiday in there somewhere?  Thanksgiving, remember that?  Kinda sad that society wants to skip from one "gimme" holiday to another....first it's "gimme gimme candy" and then it's "gimme gimme presents"...but we kinda just skim over the holiday that's all about saying thank you for what we have instead of asking for more. However, I know there are many people who love Thanksgiving, who love the fact that our entire country sets aside a time just to be thankful and grateful for how good God has been to us.  I have seen several people on Facebook and blogs commit to sharing something every day in November that they are thankful for and I think that's a great idea.  I don't know that I can promise to post every day but I am going to try to make an effort to share some of the things I am personally appreciative of during this season of giving thanks.  The things I share may not be that creative or unusual but they are things that I am eternally grateful for regardless.

It is not a surprise that one of the things I am most thankful for is my family.  The older I get and the more of the world I see and experience, the more I admire and appreciate my family.  I was so fortunate and so blessed to grow up with all my grandparents close by and parents who were faithful and committed to each other.  My brothers and I had a very stable and healthy home environment and we never lacked anything we needed. My dad was a great provider and he and my mom knew just the right balance of allowing us to be kids while teaching us the value of hard work and responsibility and most of all the importance of putting God first above all else.  They knew just how to help us transition into being self-sufficient adults while still providing us the support and guidance we needed.  My dad is such a great example of honesty and integrity and character in every way while my mom exemplifies generosity, thoughtfulness, and servanthood.  My grandparents are all loving, generous, gentle, kind-hearted, God-fearing people.  I have the most awesome aunt, uncles, and cousins.  And of course there are my two brothers who I love to death...and the sister-in-law, niece, and nephews that one of them brought into our family who have just added so much joy to all our lives. Everyone in my family has such a good, kind, generous spirit...I just love that I am surrounded by people I can look up to, respect, and learn from. I know everyone thinks their family is the best but I just really do think I have an especially great one and I could never thank God enough for choosing them for me!! 

5 comments:

  1. Our walmart had christmas clothes out the day before halloween. I literally stopped in my tracks with my mouth hanging open because it shocked me. Probably shouldn't have, but it did. I'm planning to do as much shopping as I can this year at consignment and thrift stores and to make giftsso I can avoid the retail version of christmas being shoved down my throat as much as possible. I'm thankful for you and your family too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always hear horror stories about in-laws, but I was telling Brandon the other day, one of the things I really appreciated when we were dating was that I got along really well with your parents, and the longer I know them, the more I appreciate them, especially your dad, who goes about quietly living life with amazing integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Brandon probably feels the same way about your folks, Amanda! Ya'll both got a good deal on the in-laws I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen and thank you for the nice thoughts. I see dysfunctional families all over, even some really close by and have to just shake my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am blessed to have you as my niece. I know what you mean about being blessed with a wonderful family. I see it more and more. We are a rare lot. Most do not have a stable, caring, or loving family. Good post!

    ReplyDelete