Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Progress!!!

So...last week was the first week kids came into the library to check out books. And for the first time ever during "opening week" of the library, I did not check out ONE SINGLE Junie B. Jones book!!!! And only a handful of "Goosebumps" books!!! Yessss!!!!! Slowly but surely the kids are starting to realize there are other books out there in the world!! I feel like this is marked progress during my tenure as librarian here!!

A little background on why this is such a great feat here...when I first became the librarian, the majority of the kids would always make a beeline to the shelf containing Junie B. Jones or R.L. Stine books. Now these books are really more of a 2nd or 3rd grade level, really not advanced enough for middle school. Apparently, the kids had been introduced to these in elementary school and their loyalty ran deep. I used to get so frustrated that I could not convince an 8th grade girl that there might be something she could relate to and enjoy a little more than Junie B. for her book report. But as I have slowly brought more relevant books into the collection and forced them into the kids hands, I see the interest in other genres increasing, much to my relief!

Here's to another Junie B free week at Pearl C.!! Let's leave her in 2nd grade where she belongs!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go!! I know you are so proud and happy to see such an improvement in the kids. You will be a big factor in the succes of these kids' lives. Juat keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the kind of books we had to read in Mrs. Cole's class?..... What kind of flack would you take if you hid the kiddie books?

    ReplyDelete